Tuesday, May 8, 2018

A Sense of Purpose

Having a beta-reader read my work has been a revelation.

All the frustration at not being published has dissolved in a sense of purpose I hadn't expected to find. It seems I want my writing to improve more than I want my writing to be published. I actually anticipate the latest chapter report from my beta-reader as an opportunity to refine the book, to allow its message to shine.

This is who I am. At least this is closer to my self-image than the frustration I felt when getting rejections that gave me no idea of what to improve. With my writing, I don't want to be told "It's not you, it's me," I want to be told what didn't work. (On the other hand, in relationships, I'd rather be told "It's not you, it's me.") To tell me what's wrong and what needs improving communicates that my work is worth improving.

So I welcome my beta-reader making comments on "This scene goes by too quickly" and "What's all this focus on smashing his eggs?" and I'm taking her out to dinner when this is over. Thanks, Sheri!

****************
I know my blog posts have been really short lately; I hope that isn't a problem. revising a class of mine from the ground level. All my deep thoughts are going toward family resource management, poverty, and basic financial skills -- which is my field of study, but still requires wrestling up a lot of material to inform the class.

I'll keep writing because I enjoy talking to you, and I hope you enjoy reading. This too will pass. And if you want to be a beta-reader (or just want to say hi), drop me a message!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.