Tuesday, May 1, 2018

What am I waiting for?

I'm waiting.

What am I waiting for?

The first thing I'm waiting for is 8:00 AM Central (US) Standard time, which is the point at which I can submit the novella of Gaia's Hands to the Tor Novella program. Remember that Gaia's Hands is the first book I wrote, the "problem child", and I took a metaphorical chainsaw to it and reduced it to a little over 20,000 words. I will submit it and then wait some more.

The second thing is the outcome of my latest (and last) Kindle Scout campaign for Voyageurs. I don't have much faith in this, as Kindle unceremoniously dumped the program on April 3, two days after I got in. They immediately dismantled much of the infrastructure, quit collecting votes, and belatedly let us know that they would choose the winners themselves. Nothing I've seen assures me that they'll choose any of the books, much less mine. 

The third thing is results for a blood test. Nothing scary, I assure you. The test is the HLA antigen test, and if it's negative, I can become a platelet donor for my local blood bank (apparently I have a dreamy platelet count.) If it's positive, then I was definitely pregnant at one point in my life. The time I could have been pregnant was 40 years ago, when I was 13, as a result of a rape. (If it's negative, it doesn't mean I was never pregnant.) So the blood test has the potential of solving a mystery, one that I'm not sure I want to know the answer to.

Waiting has its advantages. It is ripe with potentiality, a period of time where the optimist can imagine big things to happen. However, I prefer knowing so I can know where to go from here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.