Saturday, February 1, 2020

Winter Blues (Personal)




Does anyone out there suffer from the winter blues? I'm suffering from the winter blues right now. My mood tracking app (Daylio, which I think is available for both Android and iOS) has been registering me as "Meh" the past few days. 

I manage to stave off the winter blues through the holiday season because, well, holiday cheer. I love Christmas, with its carols and greenery. But once January comes, there's two whole months with nothing to look forward to but the end of winter. 

What am I doing to deal with the blahs? Not nearly enough. Usually at this time, I'm very involved with seedlings for the gardens at this point in the year, and this helps me keep on an even keel. But we're working on getting the weed infestation out of the raised beds, so no seed starting. 

I'm drinking lots of coffee and eating spicy food. I'm eating too much and need to lose weight. I'm writing, and that always helps, but I don't feel like writing much. 

So what strategies can I use? I happen to teach a positive psychology class, so I have some ideas here:

  • A gratitude journal -- three things I'm grateful about and why
  • Doing good for other people
  • Using my signature strengths (link to find out here) 
  • Meditation
Be sure that I'll put at least one of those into my repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.