Friday, February 21, 2020

Revisiting the Goals at the End of February (Goal-setting)

Here's my writing goals list for the year as of today:


Goal Sheet:
Short-term:

  •  Develop a platform plan by March 1, 2020
  • Revise Whose Hearts are Mountains via developmental edit by March 1, 2020
  • Send 30 queries for Whose Hearts are Mountains by March 1, 2020
  •  Send 30 queries for Whose Hearts are Mountains by April 1, 2020
  • Send 30 queries for Whose Hearts are Mountains by May 1, 2020
  •  Send 50 queries for Gaia's Hands by December 1, 2020
  • Write/submit 5 short stories/poems/flash fiction by December 31, 2020
    • Inner Child – January 30
    • Kel and Brother Coyote Make a Deal – February 15  


Long-Term:
  • Develop idea for next novel 
  • Get an agent 
  • Discuss with agent further books
  • Publish my first book 
  • Develop personal sales presence

I guess I'm not doing too badly. 

Short-term goals tend to build into longer-term goals, and long-term goals can build on each other. I'm currently working on the "getting an agent" part through queries, and if I get an agent to take me on, the queries section of the short-term goals will likely resolve itself. Publishing the book, on the other hand, will take years once I have a publisher, so it's really long-term.
Personal sales presence is something I can't really develop (other than developing a platform, which I am doing).

And I have ideas for a next novel. Almost too many, given that I've been advised to focus my efforts on shorter fiction. But I'll pick one by NaNoWriMo (November), then start writing it.

I may have to come up with more goals at this rate. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.