Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Under the Weather -- Time for a Free Write






Under the Weather
I'm feeling decidedly under the weather (literally -- this weather is weighing on me) and uninspired. Not a good thing for a daily blog. I'm writing this because I know I have to write something or else I will fall away from writing the blog after 1000-some posts. And that will really depress me.

Free Writing
So I'm going to use this as a free writing exercise. In free writing exercises, you put your pen down on paper (or fingers on the keyboard) and you just write without editing. It's a great way to come up with ideas.

Here goes:
Brother Coyote and Kel are returning the twins (Kira and Nala) to Ridgeway III, a restricted planet. Thus what Kel is doing is borderline illegal, just as Coyote's leaving ridgeway III was illegal. Nonetheless, he's going on a walkabout of sorts with Kel, offering his uncanny talent of opening wormholes to her shipping business. 

One of the interesting problems they will meet with arriving at Ridgeway III is Coyote's mother, the Convener of the Moot (i.e. Prime Minister). Coyote's mother is a charismatic, expansive person who thinks Coyote and Kel are a good match. Given that they've just met and they get along like cats and dogs, she's sorely mistaken. Probably. 

Ridgeway III is a closed world through their own choice -- they don't want their beauty planet defiled by commerce, and they're a bit edgy about how outsiders will take their occasional inborn talents -- of which Coyote's talents are an extreme example. But Coyote is their test case, and Kel and Coyote have to keep his talent under wraps out in space.

Reflection 
Note how the free writing isn't that organized. That's okay; it will still make a good start of a story. I hadn't gotten these ideas hashed out on paper; now I feel more anchored to what this story will flow like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.