Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Of weak coffee and wistful waiting

My coffee tastes a little weak this morning.

My husband usually makes the coffee, and he has learned to make it to the strength I prefer. He's in Kansas at a funeral, however, and I made my own coffee this morning.

My morning routine has been broken -- we usually get up around 5 AM (me bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, him not so much) and sit together for breakfast and coffee and sharing cat memes on the Internet. Now I'm on my own and it's 6 AM and very quiet in here. I'm trying to share cat memes with Buddy the Cat, but he remains disinterested.

It's been less than 24 hours since he left, and I miss Richard. It's been over ten years married, and I still miss Richard.  Not in a huge heart-rending way, but in the little things. I imagine this would be a hard thing, maybe the hardest thing to bear, if he died before I did -- the low-key, everyday presence. 

He'll be home about 7, 34 hours after I last saw him. No big deal. Just ... when you're older, love is less about passion and more about sharing cat memes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.