Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Thunderstorms

It's six-fifteen in the morning and it still looks like night. We are in the midst of thunderstorms, although I think we're between fronts right now. 
 
I grew up listening to thunderstorms at night, convinced it was my duty to wake up the family if the house got hit by lightning. I love thunderstorms despite a childhood short of sleep; they became my confidante late at night. 

Today I wait for the rumbles of thunder as the glowering clouds travel closer, the swishing of the trees, the gouts of rain. I fancy myself a witch of the storm, holding my arms skyward, drenched by an onslaught of rain. In reality, I'm afraid enough of lightning that I would not do something that foolish. 

North of us, the roads are still flooded by a freakish mix of melting snow from the Dakotas and hard rain. South and east of us, there's a chance of severe weather, which includes hail, high winds, and tornadoes. Lightning strikes kill people every year. 

Thunderstorms command respect. Even as I enjoy them, I keep them at a distance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.