Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Marcie visits Archon

Hi, my name is Marcie, and I am seven years old. Aunt Laurie took me along to this really neat party called Archon. Aunt Laurie called it a con, but I didn't see anyone conning anyone. (Aunt Laurie said that anyone who publishes your book and gets all the money for it is a con, but I'm not supposed to tell anyone she said that.)

I think it was a party because people were running around in really cool costumes, like the really tall guy in a wolf costume with a long bushy tail. Aunt Laurie called him a furry, and he was really furry. I saw men in skirts (Aunt Laurie called them kilts), chain vests, robot costumes, and one girl in a short plaid skirt and a shirt that didn't fit her well. And bunny ears. I liked the costume, but Aunt Laurie said I couldn't have one until I was much older.

People had tables where they sold stuff. Aunt Laurie bought two pictures called prints -- one is a flying bald cat with fairy wings. I liked it even though the cat looked a little scary. The other is a secret, because Aunt Laurie bought it as a surprise for her sister, and I promised not to tell. (I didn't promise not to tell about the publisher con.)

I didn't like the sessions so much. A lot of people talked about stuff. Aunt Laurie got a lot out of it, but I wondered why so many guys weren't polite and would talk over the women like they weren't even talking. Aunt Laurie said they had sexism, and that that was wrong. I asked why they did it, and she said they were scared of women. I don't think Aunt Laurie is scary at all -- she's like she's wearing a big marshmallow costume, and she's still gooey inside.

I tried to talk to the little robot scooting around, and all it said was bleep bloop squoink. Then it ran away and I chased it, trying to get it to talk again.

I liked the con. People laughed a lot. I had fun, but I want Richard to take me to the kids' stuff next time.  But then, Aunt Laurie said, he wouldn't be able to carry her stuff around. Richard is so useful that way. Maybe I'll become an author like Aunt Laurie and then I'll understand what they're talking about.

*************
Note to newbies: Marcie is my alter-ego, a seven-year-old girl with a bit of precociousness. A lot like me at age 7, actually. I find her a refreshing writing exercise now and again.




1 comment:

  1. Marcie is fun and playful. I like reading her perspective. She is so innocent and loving.
    This is Lanetta.

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.