Friday, May 26, 2017

Not at all Glamorous

I'm still writing on the new book (trust me, you'll read that sentence over and over for a while yet) and just finished the scene where a group of prodigies of grade school through high school age experience a delicious dinner menu, poor behavior among the adult dignitaries, and a subtle menacing pitch that they can't quite piece together. I wanted to write a whole chapter on the menu alone, but there's no time for that.

Writing in the "plantsing" mode (with general ideas but not a complete outline) means that this next section, like all sections, will require the research I didn't do earlier, which slows me down despite my amazing Google-fu.  For example, I look forward to looking up: "all-night restaurants in Krakow Old Town", "trains from Krakow Glowny to airport", "planes to Stockholm; Interlochen Center for the Arts; how to say "Do you mind? I'm going to the bathroom" in Polish, preferably more politely than that.

And that's in addition to plotting a grand escape of sorts that includes waiting in a pierogi shop waiting to not be captured.

This is writing. It's not at all glamorous, but turning the mess above into a novel is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.