Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Writers and Rituals

From all the reading I've done on writers and writing (in the interest of procrastination), one thing I've learned: writers use rituals to help them write.

Some writers have to write in a specific notebook (Moleskine seems popular among writers), while others have to use a specific pen (with fountain pens the preferred utensil). Some have to write first thing in the morning, and almost all need their coffee. I suspect many have lucky shirts they wear every day (and unlucky roommates). I myself compose and revise on the computer (as my doctoral mentor taught me,) and do not believe in lucky shirts, but I always drink coffee.

The purpose of ritual in writing is not to court luck, but to court the Muse. The Muse, the whisperer of wildness in one's blood, the source of inspiration, the bringer of strange harmonies. The writer courts the Muse, but never captures him*.

Tomorrow, I will be starting a new novel, without having any of my previous novels accepted by agents or publishers yet. I will begin this with my favorite ritual, which is spending a couple days out of my usual milieu (this time at a nearby park cabin). Because the middle of nowhere in this case has Internet, I may update occasionally. This is where I will seek the Muse** over the next couple days. 




* The Greeks' Muses were female. I'm not Greek. Therefore ...
** I am in search of a Muse. Duties include intriguing, enamoring, and occasionally bewildering the writer. Please send applications to lleachie@gmail.com.

3 comments:

  1. I use dime store composition books and sharpie technical pens as my medium for generation; my computer is for final drafting and finished work. As for muse, life experience, encounter, influences of music and other writers and people seem to be the heart of where my poems lie. Writing the fantastic and extraordinary is something that I find a challenge, but people who have read my stuff say mine does contain the right elements, That said I'm working on what I hope may turn into an actual story,.I keep finding out new poetry forms I didn't know about recently, like pantoum. Sometimes the rules can be confining but produce really powerful and/or interesting work. "Incident" by Natasha Tretheway is a good example.

    Birdie (I'm Abby)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medium point Bic pen, until the gel pen came into my life. These are for penning long letters. Lengthy composition lives in my computer. I get lost in re-reads of what I have written. Writing is a rhythmic process for me. Write, read, revise, write, re-read, revise, write.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby, I'm going to have to look up Pantoum, because I've never played with that form! People are my favorite inspiration, too; the Muse gives a kick of energy.

    Anon, GEL PENS! If I weren't so anal about crossing and scribbling out on my pristine page, I'd go back to those!

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.