Friday, May 19, 2017

Retreat -- second and final day

I hope to get to 2000 words today, which is rather slow for me. One thing I have to take into account, however -- hours spent in online research.

When writing about a place, visiting the place helps. I feel really good about writing about Chicago, even if I have to revisit now and again to check out the non-tourist Chicago that I knew about 20 years ago. When I write about my home town -- nothing to see there, move along.

However, the person who penned "Write about what you know" gave excellent advice and I should have heeded it. I set the first part of the current novel in a foreign country. I do not speak the language. Google's page translation brings such delights as "Puget's outbuildings provide new home for dying swans", with a photo of a bird which is most definitely not a swan. Apparently, looking at a photo on Instagram of a dark, moody coffeehouse is not the way to pick the setting for the next novel.

Does anyone have a floor plan to the Donimirski Palac Pugetow Business Center? In English?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.