Friday, May 5, 2017

Write as if people want to read you.

I'm okay as a poet. I'm better than I used to be, but I still feel like there's something I don't quite understand, maybe how poetry distinguishes itself from lyrics (the latter of which I feel I do well at), or how to show what I want to say instead of telling. 

On the plus side, I write poems better than I used to.

The breakthrough was when I needed to write poetry in the voice of one of my characters in a novel. Josh turned out to be a much better poet than I was. This should not make sense, as Josh existed only in the novel and he couldn't write any words I didn't put in his pen. In other words, I was Josh. yet his style held mysteries mine didn't. It held stylistic experiments I'd never tried.

The biggest thing, though, was that Josh wrote as if people wanted to read him. 

I put that into italics because that just occurred to me. Self-doubt puts limits on our motivation, our daring, even the effort we take to write. And it's an uphill battle for many, even most of us. It keeps some from writing, and others from seeking publication.

Something I need to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.