Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The Concept of Leadings

A Facebook memory today reminded me that three years ago, I had not yet found a publisher or an agent. Three years later, I have not found a publisher or an agent. (That writing device you just saw deployed is called repetition, and emphasizes the point made).

I'm not going to whine here, because that just puts me in a bad mood. I don't want to be in a bad mood. I will, however, take an opportunity to talk about my current state, which is doubt.  Today, my doubt has nothing to do with my assessment of my talent and everything to do with 1) my books are not similar to previous bestsellers; 2) the market is overwhelmed as the result of mass-interest writing movements like Nanowrimo; 3) the industry looks more at what will sell than the message or even the skill of the writer, just as female pop singers have to have a certain "look"; 4) so many people write; few get published.

When I started writing, I hadn't thought about publishing until partway through my first book when I realized that the story unfolding had themes that I thought needed to be released and read. Some of the themes were subversive (Gaia as the World-Soul) and some universal (the nature of friendship); some of the plot lines were subversive (the May-December relationship where the woman is older) and some not too unusual (the bad guys trying to burn down a food forest that two of the protagonists just planted). I just had this feeling -- call it a leading -- that I needed to write and to be heard.

A leading, according to the Religious Society of Friends, is a tug on the heart, a whisper from God, a feeling that This Is What I'm Supposed To Do, even if I don't know the end result. I'm a member of the Religious Society of Friends, or what others call a Quaker. We try to keep our lives simple so that we can carve out a quiet place for our soul to hear what God wants from us.  (Yes, I know, how weird.)

I have been writing because I sincerely believe that I have a leading to write. The fact that I always find a new dream snippet to write from helps me believe this. I don't have a leading to write full-time, because I'm pretty sure God wants me to eat.

But if I have a leading to write, and nobody publishes me (I will not self-publish, because nobody will read me that way either) then what's my leading about? Is it really there? Is it time to let go of this leading? I don't hear that still small voice advising me right now.

Thus, I doubt.


1 comment:

  1. You should write for you. Trying to fit in the narrow genre that is current right now will not work for you. Think about the impressionist artists who received terrible reviews from the critics of their day. If they had listened.....we would not now have the beautiful art that they continued to paint because it made them happy. This is lanetta.

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.