Sunday, August 20, 2017

Random Thoughts

I've been having trouble writing over the last few days because: 1) I've been feeling down; 2) I've been starting the less obvious beginning-of-semester prep (going through my work wardrobe, setting up my calendar, accepting 8 meetings for this week, cleaning up my chaotic mess of an office; fielding emails from students who MUST get into my courses at the last minute.

But that's not what I want to talk about.  Here are my random thoughts:


It's easy to feel down with the events in the US lately: domestic terror from white supremacist groups (that the government refuses to call terrorism), the obvious differences between how a white person like me and people of color have always been treated in this country; a president who shows all the signs of sociopathic narcissism and megalomania slowly tearing down the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

As a Quaker, I have been schooled in nonviolent resistance; I just have a wonky health issue right now (side effects from meds) that prevents me from marching. What can I do? Speak truth to power (while not getting political at school); hold the supremacists in the Light; take care of myself.

What can you do for yourself? Do what you can; do what you're called to do; check your leadings in the Light.



I spent part of the weekend feeling lonely and isolated. How could this happen in the era of Facebook?  Facebook works very well to touch base with the people you like and the people you love, but it's not very nurturing. You can be one of a number of someone's Facebook friends, but if there's nothing to your contact but emojis and memes and likes, do you truly feel connected to those people? I suspect this is why we see so many "tell me how we met in one word"-like memes; everyone feels the void.

How do we fill the void? By reaching out.  I remember when Leonard Nimoy, about a week before he died, got on Twitter and broadcast to the void that he was adopting nieces and nephews. Think about how wonderful that is! I am now one of his nieces, and I'm grateful for that.

Several people reached out with warm fuzzies, prayers, and hugs over the past few days. Thank you! I need those sometimes, because stress ups the ante for quick-descending depression. But I also need it because nobody should have to live in the void.

I choose to live my life deeply.  Connect with me at the depth to which you are comfortable. Coffee is a good start.



What do these have to do with writing? These tap into my two favorite themes in my writing -- diversity, equality, and connection. This is part of the reason I get so frustrated with not being picked up by an agent or publisher -- writing on these themes are (I think) part of my calling, and if I don't get picked up, I cannot change the world even in my little way. Yes, I find fulfillment in just writing, but if you don't tell the world you love it, will the world know?


Just random thoughts.




2 comments:

  1. I am in agreement with you. The course state of this nation is in terrible shape. I dont agree with the extremists and spewing hate. It is everywhere. Even on fb. I understand that you may not agree with someone's opinion but to post nasty comments and name calling...that makes you look so like a school yard bully.
    All of it is very depressing. For myself I continue to focus on the things that are most important to me....my family, my friends, my job, and getting back to running. I will continue to treat all people as equal and do my best to teach my children to do the same.
    There are still good people in this nation. It is so big the media seems to give a spotlight to the shocking things that people do. I believe that there are good things happening in this country that are not being reported because they are not "News Worthy" You are a wonderful teacher. Do what you can to impact the pond you live in. It may not get reported by the media but I know that if you do sometsomething positive to counter act the negative it will make you feel better.
    This is Lanetta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for responding. I'm given the blessing of having a pool to influence, and I teach classes where values and ethics are part of the curriculum. And yes, there are good things to focus on (like the cat who is taking this moment to pester me).

    You yourself have a great position to change things in bringing up children. My parents did a lot to create my world view on things like diversity, culture, and equality. Being a parent creates a lot of ripples into the world.

    ReplyDelete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.