Wednesday, June 27, 2018

What I look for in Beta Readers

I need more beta-readers.

Before you all rush out to volunteer, here's what I look for in a beta-reader:


  • First and foremost, the beta-reader should be willing to read a whole book, unless they find it so unbearable that they cannot finish. Then they should have the courage to tell me that and give specifics.
  • The beta-reader should be honest and specific. "I hate this book" may be honest but not specific. "It's a nice book" is neither honest or specific. "I like this book" is honest (I hope) but not specific. "I loved finding out that X ..." (no spoilers here) is honest and specific.
  • The beta-reader doesn't have to be a copy editor or proofreader. If they want to point out the extra period on page 53, that is fine, but that's not what I expect.
  • The beta-reader should focus on:
    • Readability -- Are the words too big? Are the sentences incomprehensible? Does the book bog down in places? Does the reader get lost? Does the narrative "flow"?
    •  Characters -- does the reader identify with the characters? Believe in the characters?
    • Plot -- does the reader follow the plot? Is it confusing? Is it internally logical? 
  • Finally, the beta-reader should not be afraid to hurt my little fee-fees. As long as you don't say "This is the worst book I've ever read" (which is not specific and hopefully not honest), I can handle it.
The benefits of being a beta-reader:
  • You will be named in the acknowledgements.
  • You will get a free autographed copy if I ever publish.
  • You will have read the book before anyone else has.
  • Although you will not get paid, you will have the satisfaction of helping make something happen.
Now, do you want to be a beta reader? Find me at lleachie (at) gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.