Friday, June 29, 2018

Heatwave

The high temperature today will be 100 degrees, with a 105 heat index. This means I'm likely not going anywhere today -- no coffee shop stop, no morning walk, no visiting with people. I'm sentenced to involuntary indolence for the day

Here's an (old) poem for your viewing pleasure:

Heat Wave in Rural Missouri

The sun burns sagging porches,
bleaching petunias and salvia.
The afternoon gasps its last.
From my window, nothing stirs –
I alone live, breathe.

Swooning,
I spy you strolling through a deluge of rain,
bearing me pansies and muguet,
your bowler and grey linen suit still crisp,
the last mirage before I fade –

Knowing I exaggerate, and my demise
is not imminent in this air-cooled room
does not detract from my reverie.
 .


No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.