Friday, June 1, 2018

My schedule and writers' block

I am frustrated because my routine is out of whack.

I never thought I was one of these people who needed a routine. It's out of step with my vision of myself as an artistic free spirit -- you know, wait for inspiration, do as you feel moved to do, be spontaneous...

That doesn't work when you have a day job. My day job (being a professor) has a definite schedule arranged around when the classes I teach are scheduled. Those have first priority, then meeting times and dates and office hours fill in the rest of my time. I try not to schedule large gaps in my day because those will become de facto office hours and I will struggle to get work done in-between students.

So during the school year, I tend to find some time to work in my office hours, although that's rare; work on classroom type stuff tends to happen on weekends and afternoons; morning is when I write creatively. A perfect schedule.

Then summer throws it off -- at least as much because the nature of the work changes as much as the arrangement of the time. It would seem I have a lot more time with school "out" for the semester. But my workload is very, very different. I supervise 23 interns, and scheduling meetings with them is somewhat random. Other than that, my job work includes writing a chapter for a book I'm editing on moulage and volunteer management for disaster training, and revising two classes, one of them pretty drastically. I tackle these first, because they keep me fed. Then, my online class (I'm the student, not the teacher) requires attention because I don't want to fail my first class in years.

Finally, I can schedule working on this blog and working on Prodigies and then Whose Hearts are Mountains. The blog gets worked on first, because it's an excellent warmup to writing, although I've been writing really short entries lately. My readership has fallen the last couple days, too.

At the end, I've had writers' block when it comes to the written projects. I schedule them for late afternoon/evening because I don't often get out (I'm in a small town and schedule my coffee times during the day), but by then, I don't feel very motivated.

I think I have to have a good talk with my characters tonight. We're just about at the climax of Prodigies, and they're strangely reticent. Right about now, they're having their last supper before the operation in which they're going to save a packed General Assembly room at the UN from being set on fire. Time for me to listen to them -- if I have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.