Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Accountability partners

Yesterday, I blocked out the big scene of my book Prodigies. Actually, Richard helped me -- he took me to a coffee shop, watched me as I typed out the outline, asked me a couple of questions, and pronounced it "good". It's most of the way done now; another session today should have the action outlined completely. And then it's time to write.

Sometimes I have trouble writing alone. Sometimes I have trouble motivating alone -- I am always most motivated about one thing, whatever is needed or desired at the moment, and sometimes I forget about the other things on my plate. This is a sign of ADHD, which I've never been diagnosed with, but there's enough of it in my family that it wouldn't be a surprise. So I'm considering an accountability partner.

An accountability partner would help me prioritize all the things I want to accomplish and track with me what is getting in the way. The thing for me is being able to switch focus, usually demonstrated by how I finish the #1 activity of the day and then feel braindead.

Richard is likely to be my identity partner because he's good at that. I'll need to be his accountability partner, and I'm not so good at it. Ah, well, I needed a good challenge.

What we will need to be accountability partners:

An idea of each other's values and goals (daily/weekly)
A time we can meet (over coffee)
A clear set of questions to ask each other about progress
************
I just came up with goals for summer:
Finish my online class with an A;
Write chapter of moulage book by August 1;
Finish/edit Prodigies by August 1;
Walk 20 minutes six days a week.

Notice that this blog is not on the list; but I'm still going to write it -- if not daily, at least three days a week.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.