Monday, June 4, 2018

The Centipede's Dilemma

A centipede was happy – quite!
Until a toad in fun
Said, "Pray, which leg moves after which?"
This raised her doubts to such a pitch,
She fell exhausted in the ditch
Not knowing how to run.
 -- Katherine Craster , "The Centipede's Dilemma"
******************
I've been thinking too much while writing the first draft. I know many of the rules of writing, and I'm keeping them all in my head at the same time, and trying to edit at the same time I write. It's not working. I'm only writing 400 words a day, and have 10,000 words to go. 

Writing coaches say, "Just write. Don't edit. Just write." This is the reason, because too much self-examination can tie one in knots, like the caterpillar. I'm worrying about the book, about what I've already written, and distracting myself from the moment.

I need to cut that out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.