Thursday, February 4, 2021

Learning optimism

Speaking of anticipating good things happening , I've noticed that pessimists often call themselves "realists", yet I haven't heard optimists say the same thing. It's almost as if, again, we expect bad things to happen and not good.

I'm trying to focus on good things happening -- the good deeds of humans, the unexpected good thing, achievements and accomplishments, and so on. The things that spark gratitude and, thus, happiness

Being an optimist is not the same as descending into toxic positivity. I don't chirp "Look on the bright side!" to people who are going through tough times; I listen to them. I don't ignore my own feelings of hurt. I don't choose to ignore the bad things in the world. 

I hope. That is the core of optimism -- hoping for good things in the future. 

It's hard sometimes. I worry that I am enjoying my white privilege. I deal with a pessimistic inner voice that tells me I'm just going to get hurt. I wonder if I'm fooling myself. 

However, I think I'm doing the right thing. Pessimism makes us ill and makes us unhappy with life. I hope to stick with optimism because it seems healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.