Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Josh and Jeanne: Telling their stories truthfully

As I re-re-edit Gaia's hands in a number of ways for a number of reasons, I've learned a surprising lesson -- it's possible to be scared of your own writing.

There are some things about the book I've understated -- too much, in fact -- because I didn't know how people would react to them. The biggest one, I guess, is the relationship between Jeanne Beaumont, a tenured professor and Josh Young, a student (but not one she'd ever have in class) at a midsized university. I looked at the rules at her university, and there is nothing in the conduct code that would present this, as he will never be her student.

Note how I try to justify myself already? If that first part didn't startle you, they fall in love with each other, despite the difference in their ages and the differences in where they are in life. She's settled in her faculty responsibilities yet starting a new venture in permaculture design. He's at the beginning of his adulthood, but focused on getting a PhD in creative writing and a writing career. She tries to avoid problems while he tries to breeze past them, but they go toe-to-toe with each other because their relationship is too important to evade.

I'm not sure the above is even the most startling part -- the most startling part may be that Jeanne and Josh are attracted to each other. This includes sexual attraction, even though he's a slender 20-year-old and she's a zaftig 50-year-old. In short, they are the two groups of people we regard as least sexy in the US -- a young, small-boned Asian American man and a large, older woman. And the younger one, not the older one, is the pursuer. (There are, however, no explicit sex scenes in this book because I thought you should use your imaginations there.)

I created the characters like this on purpose -- to challenge the reader, to expand societal notions of what is possible, to give a view different than our notions that Asian men are sexless and women of a certain age are desperate.  My books are full of oddballs -- perhaps because oddballs are my people -- for better or worse. I could have put ordinary characters against the subtly extraordinary events of the book, but I was afraid they'd wash out. Jeanne and Josh are not ordinary.

If I myself cannot face my characters -- good and bad -- my writing loses power and coherence. It's possible that this book will never get published because I believe an older woman/younger man relationship is not only possible, but believeable. There may be people out there who think a semi-sentient vine and a plant superpower are more believable than Jeanne's and Josh's relationship, but I will not try to erase them or their relationship from this story. The story deserves better, Josh and Jeanne deserve better, and I deserve better.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea. This is not a typical romance..the evolution of the relationship sounds very interesting. Is it their shared interests that keep them going? It does challenge the stereotypical ideas about love. Rather it demonstrates that the concept of love is more about content of the person vs. the usual physical attraction.
    This is Lanetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's reassuring. What keeps them going seems to be a combination of deep respect for each others' interests and focus, shared values, a good sense of humor, and an eye for mischief at times. It should be noted that they are still together years later, and this may be attributed to (among other things) finding workarounds for sexuality as Jeanne gets older.

      Delete

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.