Friday, February 14, 2020

Valentine's Day -- a whole lotta love (Personal)

Yesterday, I taught my personal adjustment students about love. No, not the deeper, profound experience of love. But I taught them that Valentine's Day celebrates only one type of the seven types of love that the ancient Greeks celebrated.

So, those types of love:


  • Agape – love of humanity.
  • Storge – love of family
  • Philia -- love of friends
  • Pragma – love which endures.
  • Philautia – self love
  • Ludus – flirtatious/playful love
  • Eros – romantic and erotic love.
Valentine's Day only seems to celebrate eros, and it does so in a big, splashy, commercialized way. 

I want people to reclaim the other types of love for Valentine's Day and go out and celebrate them. Galentine's Day is a good start, for those female friends who want to celebrate each other. But we should be celebrating our families, our friends, our flirtations, the world. Wouldn't the world be better for that?

If you liked this blog post, please drop me a note at lleachie@gmail.com or @lleachsteffens on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that everyone here comes with good intent. If you come to spoil my assumptions by verbal abuse, excessive profanity, spam or other abuses I had not considered, I reserve the right to delete your notes or delete your participation. I am the arbiter of what violates good intent.